2018-06-16 District Meeting

Please join us in serving the district to further the Al-Anon mission from 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM at King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor. We are still seeking a new District Representative (DR) and Alternate DR. You are welcome to join after 11:00 AM if necessary. Please email the District 5 Secretary to add items to the agenda.

Agenda

  • Open with Serenity Prayer
  • Read Twelve Concepts of Service
  • Introductions
  • Minutes from past meeting
  • New District Meeting voting policy - Each registered group may assign only one individual per District Meeting who may vote. Officers that are not voting on behalf of a group at the District Meeting may also vote.
  • Spring Assembly report delayed by rescheduling of Assembly.
  • Treasurer’s report - Jan A
  • AWSC Report - Jan A
  • Items to discuss
    • Elections: District Representative and Alternate District Representative
    • Michigan AFG Spring Assembly June 23, 9 AM - 3 PM, 1075 W Monroe Rd, St Louis, MI
    • Confirm/assign representative to report back on Assembly (Luanne C or Julie S)
    • Assign representative to attend AWSC August 11, 10:00 AM, 1075 West Monroe Road (M 46), St. Louis, MI (Vicky D volunteered)
    • Vacant positions: Public Outreach
    • Intimacy Open Speaker Meeting - Richard H
    • Motion: Donate $200 toward KOMIAC bus rental for Alateen - Robin R
    • Childcare no interest from groups - Bryan T
    • Determine what qualifies for inclusion as an announcement in our district and frequency guidance - Diane B
      Current guidance is:
      Subscribers to this list receive two scheduled emails monthly containing information relevant to Al-Anon Family Groups District 5 Area 27. For example, emails may contain event reminders, instructions for group officers, surveys, group participation requests, and more. Occasionally, urgent messages may be sent out on other days. Urgent messages are meeting cancellations with short notice and funeral arrangements.
    • Structure of announcement email and umbrella email addresses - Bryan T
    • Motion: Form committee to craft District 5 Bylaws to be presented, discussed, and adopted at a future District Meeting - Bryan T
    • Motion: Omit reasons for meeting cancellations in announcements sheet and web postings to avoid potential advertising of events unrelated to Al-Anon.
  • Reports
    • District Representative (DR) - Vacant
    • Alternate DR - Vacant
    • Alateen - Robin R
    • AIS - Diane B
    • LDC Liaison - Diane B
    • Group Records - Julie S
    • Information Phone - Marilyn F
    • Open Speaker Series - Annie J
    • Public Outreach - Vacant
    • Secretary - Bryan T
    • Web Admin - Bryan T
      • Resume meetings
      • Seeking replacement for slow transition
  • Other business
  • Next meeting August 18, 2018
  • Close with the Al-Anon Declaration
    Let It Begin With Me. When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help - let the hand of Al-Anon and Alateen always be there, and Let It Begin With Me.

CLOSED: This meeting of Al-Anon is closed to the public. Closed meetings are for anyone whose personal life is or has been deeply affected by close contact with a problem drinker. If you are interested in Al-Anon/Alateen or wish to observe as a student or professional, we welcome you to attend one of our meetings designated as ‘open’.

2018-01-06 District Meeting Minutes

Approval Date: 2018-03-26
Submitted by: Bryan T
Attendance: 17 (Bryan T, Lori H, Nancy B, Julie S, Diane B, Spencer T, Robin R, Debbie F, Marilyn F, Vicki P, Jan A, Annie J, Alvin R, Sunshine A, Kelly S, Stacie P, and Richard)
Location: King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor

Opened at 11:00 AM.
Opened with Serenity Prayer.

Policy Proposals

Send a volunteer to AWSC meetings.

Until the District Representative and/or Alternate DR positions have been filled, an individual from the District may volunteer to attend and report back on the activities of the AWSC, but he/she may not vote on the District’s behalf at the AWSC meeting. The volunteer must be approved by the District at a business meeting.

The policy was adopted. Jan A volunteered to attend the next AWSC meeting on Mar 10, 2018 and was accepted by the District. Vicki D volunteered for a future date to be named.

Cancel childcare survey

The District will cease activities regarding the creation and dissemination of a survey to determine interest in childcare services at meetings in the District.

The policy was adopted.

Eligible voters at District meetings

Each group may elect up to one individual to vote on proposals at each District business meeting on behalf of the group. District officers may cast one vote at District business meetings whether or not selected to vote on behalf of a group. This policy will be announced at the beginning of District business meetings after reading the Concepts of Service.

The policy was adopted.

Read Concepts of Service at District Meetings

The Al-Anon Concepts of Service will be read at the beginning of District business meetings after Introductions.

The policy was adopted.

Discussions

Minutes from Past Meetings

Vicky D distributed some paper copies of the 2017 November 18 meeting minutes. Bryan T will reformat them for the website and send out an email for approval of the attendees.

District Elections

No one volunteered for District Representative (DR) or Alternate DR. Diane B volunteered for the Al-Anon Information Service (AIS) position while remaining as Literature Distribution Chair (LDC).

Intimacy Open Speaker Meeting

Richard volunteered to chair the next Intimacy Open Speaker Meeting. He said that the event would not be scheduled for February. Annie J volunteered to help the Chair.

Childcare at Meetings

Spencer volunteered to speak with a member of the A2WG board about options to expand childcare at meetings.

Reports

District Treasurer – Jan A

The District is in good finincial standing with Available balance $1320.08, which does not include $500 prudent reserve. Last year the District donated $250 to the Area and $250 to the WSO per quarter and an additional $250 to each at the end of the year. The next donation is scheduled for 2018 March. Treasurer report for 2017 approved.

District Representative (DR) – Vacant

Alternate DR – Vacant

Secretary – Bryan T

Motion carried to hold next District business meeting 2018 March 17 at 11:00 AM with 2018 March 24 as alternate. The future dates 2018 June 16, 2018 August 18, and 2018 November 17 shall be reserved with the venue but have not been approved by the District. These dates correspond to the Saturdays following Spring Assembly and AWSC meetings.

LDC Liaison – Diane B

Special sale of books ended. Some audio and electronic pdf versions of Conference Approved Literature are available.

Group Records – Julie S

Asked Group Representatives (GRs) to please send information changes to groupchanges@afgdistrict5.org.

Alateen – Robin R

Alateen has needed to use a bigger room. Debbie F has volunteered to assist.

Information Phone – Marilyn F

There were 4-5 calls in December. Need volunteers after April. Volunteers should have 1+ years of experience in Al-Anon. Marilyn F will deliver the phone to volunteers. Vicky D volunteered for all of February.

Open Speaker Series – Annie J

Next open talks are 2018-01-13 2:00 PM – Chuck G and 2018-02-10 2:00 PM – Ellen. The second Saturday of each month at 2:00 PM has been reserved with the venue. Seeking speakers.

GR Issues and Updates

Debbie F reported that the Tuesday-Friday Morning Serenity AFG is short on funds to pay venue. Jan A informed her that the group had made donations recently and could reduce those to help cover costs for the venue.

Closing

The next district meeting is Saturday 2018-03-17 11:00 AM at King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor.

Closed with the Al-Anon Declaration: “Let it begin with me. When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, let the hand of Al-Anon and Alateen aways be there, and let it begin with me.”

Closed at 12:40 PM. Donation of $31 was provided to the venue.

2018-03-17 District Meeting

Please join us in serving the district to further the Al-Anon mission from 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM at King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor. We are still seeking a new District Representative (DR) and Alternate DR. You are welcome to join after 11:00 AM if necessary.

Agenda

  • Open with Serenity Prayer
  • Read Twelve Concepts of Service
  • Introductions
  • Minutes from past meeting
  • New District Meeting voting policy – Each registered group may assign only one individual per District Meeting who may vote. Officers that are not voting on behalf of a group at the District Meeting may also vote.
  • AWSC report – Jan A
  • Treasurer’s report – Jan A
  • Items to discuss
    • Elections: District Representative and Alternate District Representative
    • Michigan AFG Spring Assembly June 9, 9 AM – 3 PM, 1075 W Monroe Rd, St Louis, MI
    • Assign representative to report back on Assembly
    • Propose District Meetings: Saturday, June 16, 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM, Saturday, Aug 18, 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM, and Saturday, November 17, 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM
    • Vacant positions: Public Outreach
    • Intimacy Open Speaker Meeting – Richard
    • Childcare information gathered from A2WG – Spencer
    • Determine what qualifies for inclusion as an announcement in our district
    • Review if Alateen still needs the basket out/passed around for donations at this time
  • Reports
    • District Representative (DR) – Vacant
    • Alternate DR – Vacant
    • Alateen – Robin R
    • AIS – Diane B
    • LDC Liaison – Diane B
    • Group Records – Julie S
    • Information Phone – Marilyn F
    • Open Speaker Series – Annie J
    • Public Outreach – Vacant
    • Secretary – Bryan T
      • Should we craft District 5 Bylaws
    • Web Admin – Bryan T
      • Email structure
  • Other business
  • Next meeting TBD by new DR or by motion
  • Close with the Al-Anon Declaration

    Let It Begin With Me.
    When anyone, anywhere,
    reaches out for help – let the hand of
    Al-Anon and Alateen always be there, and
    Let It Begin With Me.

CLOSED: This meeting of Al-Anon is closed to the public. Closed meetings are for anyone whose personal life is or has been deeply affected by close contact with a problem drinker. If you are interested in Al-Anon/Alateen or wish to observe as a student or professional, we welcome you to attend one of our meetings designated as ‘open’.

2018-01-06 District Meeting

We need to elect a new District Representative (DR) and Alternate DR. Please join us in serving the district to further the Al-Anon mission from 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM at King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor. You are welcome to join after 11:00 AM if necessary.

Agenda

  • Someone to take minutes
  • Open with Serenity Prayer
  • Introductions
  • Treasurer’s report – Jan A
  • Minutes from past meeting
  • Items to discuss
    • Elections: District Representative and Alternate District Representative
    • Vacant positions: AIS and Public Outreach
    • Intimacy Open Speaker Meeting
    • Childcare information and survey
  • Reports
    • District Representative (DR) – Vacant
    • Alternate DR – Vacant
    • Web Admin – Bryan T
    • LDC Liaison – Diane B
    • Group Records – Julie S
    • Alateen – Robin R
    • Information Phone – Marilyn F
    • Open Speaker Series – Annie J
  • Other business
  • Next meeting TBD by new District Representative
  • Close with the Al-Anon Declaration

    Let It Begin With Me.
    When anyone, anywhere,
    reaches out for help – let the hand of
    Al-Anon and Alateen always be there, and
    Let It Begin With Me.

CLOSED: This meeting of Al-Anon is closed to the public. Closed meetings are for anyone whose personal life is or has been deeply affected by close contact with a problem drinker. If you are interested in Al-Anon/Alateen or wish to observe as a student or professional, we welcome you to attend one of our meetings designated as ‘open’.

2017-10-14 Area 27 Fall Assembly Report

81 voting Group Reps were there.

The most important thing we voted on was for MI Delegate, Alt. Del. , Sec. and Treasurer and Chairman. Ann M. is the new Delegate, Kristine G. is the Alt. Del, Floann Y. is Secretary, Maggie S. is the Treasurer and Mike D. is the Chairman. Maggie is from our Dist. 5 and was the Serenity Sentinel Editor for the state. We should thank them all for their service.

We passed motions to approve the 2018 Budget and the WSC ( World Service Conference) Equalized Expense Payment which help other states to go to meetings at the WSO.

A question was brought up as to if someone could run for a state office like Del. in absentia? A heated discussion went on with both sides being brought up. The outcome was to not allow it that day but we could think about it for the future.

We passed a love basket and collected $269.95.

With the elections we will be starting a new “Panel”. A Panel consists of the elected officers. And the Coordinators will be replaced. The Coordinator positions are Alateen Coord. And Area Alateen Process Person (AAPP), records coord, archives coord, public outreach coord, website coord, Lit/ Forum coord, newsletter editor and tech coord. If you are interested in any of these positions let me know and I will pass this on to Ann M. MI Del. You do not need to be a GR past or present.

The Al-Anon International Convention is coming up July 6-8 in Baltimore MD and you can register for it now! I did! The early bird gets the cheaper price: before Dec. 21, 2017 it’s $130, then it goes up to $165 and last minute is $195. Lodging is extra.You can get all the info at the WSO website and they will offer hotel info also. If you try to find a hotel on your own you can’t do it.
I have gone to 2 other International Con. and they were wonderful! Maybe we could carpool there.

Our Mi State AFG Conventions are great also! 2018’s is May 4-6 at Shanty Creek Resort in Bellaire MI. This is a great time to meet others in the program and hear great speakers!

We have 7 new groups in our state including 4 Alateen groups!

At our District 5 level please consider being our District Rep or Alt. District Rep. I have loved all 6 years I have done this but now I must step down. Let’s keep the momentum going in our district.
REMEMBER DISTRICT 5 IS ALIVE!!
Cheryl B. , Dist.5 Rep.

2017-10-06 District Meeting Minutes

Approval Date: 2017-10-30
Submitted by: Julie S
Attendance: 7 (Bryan T, Robin R, SunShine A, Julie S, Stacie P, Diane B, Annie J)
Location: King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor

Opened at 5:15 PM.
Opened with Serenity Prayer.

Proposals

Duration of Meeting Support Requests

When groups request support for their meeting, those requests will appear in 3 consecutive monthly announcement flyers and on the website for an equivalent period of time, or until the group says that the announcements are no longer necessary. A group may extend its request for an additional 3 months after the month in which the extension was requested.

The policy was adopted.

Discussions

Minutes from Past Meetings

Minutes from the August and September meetings were not yet available to be reviewed and approved.

Gratitude Day 2017

Diane volunteered to coordinate plans for this year’s Gratitude Day which will be at King of Kings on Saturday, November 18 from 1:30 – 3:30 pm. She passed around a proposed flyer to advertise the event, and asked for someone to volunteer to be the main speaker. The program will include the guest speaker and then all in attendance will be invited to share on gratitude.

District Elections on 2017-11-18

We need to elect a new District Representative and Alternate District Representative at the November District Meeting. Other open positions include Al-Anon Information Service and Outreach. Job descriptions for these positions are on the District Website under Resources->Service Positions. In order to fill these positions, you need to be or have been a Group Representative and you cannot be a member of AA. It would be helpful if GRs would announce these openings at their meetings.

Childcare at Meetings

Currently, only a couple of meetings provide childcare for their members, and lack of childcare is a barrier for some people to attend meetings. It is unclear to those present what the Al-Anon policies are (if any) about childcare. One mention was found in the on-line Service Manual, in reference to miscellaneous expenses paid by meetings. Bryan offered to write a survey to put in the monthly announcements, asking about interest in childcare during meetings. It can be reviewed at the next district meeting. He also offered to contact the Tuesday/Thursday morning meeting to ask how they provide childcare. Julie will contact the Friday evening Methodist Church meeting GR to ask the same question. Those who are going to the Assembly on 2017-10-14 can also ask there about childcare. It was noted that those who can’t attend regular meetings without childcare might want to try on-line meetings.

Reports

District Treasurer – Jan A

Available balance $2633.67, which does not include $500 prudent reserve.

District Representative (DR) – Cheryl B

Absent and no report. Bryan ran this meeting in Cheryl’s absence.

Alternate DR – Carl S

Absent and no report.

Website – Bryan T

The website forum followed this District Meeting. Bryan invited all at the District Meeting to attend if they chose. Progress is slow due to maintenance demands, i.e., posting new events and meeting minutes. Seeking help from someone with interest in code development.

LDC Liaison – Diane B

Newcomer packets have arrived from WSO. Diane has ordered the 3 pieces of Conference Approved Literature that are now on sale, as well as printer ink. Putting certain pieces of literature on sale is a new thing WSO is trying out. All the district’s literature inventory is now located at her work office. This position is open for someone new to take it on, though the need is not urgent. Whoever takes over must have a business place to receive and keep literature – this is a requirement from the WSO.

Group Records – Julie S

Three different groups had updates after they received the Healthy Meeting packets. All those updates have been submitted to Michigan Group Records and are now updated in the WSO database. Julie S has begun to include the Information Phone as the secondary contact for groups that don’t identify their own secondary contact.

Alateen – Robin R

Another Alateen sponsor is needed to work with Robin. The person must have at least 2 years in Al-Anon, pass a background check, attend the training that is now available for Alateen sponsors, and must be approved by the kids who make up our Alateen group. Diane will add the Alateen booklet on sponsorship to literature orders she fills to help with recruitment. The group is also running low on money, so Robin will send an announcement request to Bryan T soliciting donations from the groups.

Hotline – Marilyn F

Absent and no report.

Open Speaker Series – Annie J

There were 45 people at the August Open Talk and 15 at the September one. Perhaps moving the time in September to 12:30 from 2 PM was confusing. She brought flyers for the October 7th talk. Richard is the speaker. Next open talk is 2017-11-04 2:00 PM – Kaitlyn Z. Speakers are lined up for December (Zach B) and January (Chuck). Annie is planning to re-design the Open Speaker Meeting flyer and is looking for input. She wants to grow attendance and perhaps have an Alateen speaker. She is willing to continue doing this service in 2018.

District Meeting Donation

Passed the basket and gave approximately $15 to King of Kings Church.

GR Issues and Updates

Sunshine brought up the problem of students trying to attend meetings not as Al-Anon members, but as part of their studies. Since all our regular meetings are closed (only people affected by the alcoholism in a family member or friend may attend). Students may attend the Open Talks – there are no qualifications imposed. Bryan T agreed to add a “For Professionals and Students” section to the website.

Annie brought up the lack of current District 5 Al-Anon meeting lists at the Alano Club. Diane volunteered to write up instructions about where to get current lists and literature and to laminate that so it can be posted at the Club.

Closing

The next district meeting is Saturday 2017-11-18 10:45 AM at King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor.

Closed with the Al-Anon Declaration: “Let it begin with me. When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, let the hand of Al-Anon and Alateen aways be there, and let it begin with me.”

Closed at 6:15 PM.

2017-07-07 District Meeting Minutes

Approval Date: Pending
Submitted by: Cheryl B
Attendance: 4 (Cheryl B, Kelly S, Annie J, Bryan T)
Location: King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor

Opened at 5:15 PM.
Opened with Serenity Prayer.

Proposals

Approve Minutes by Email

District meeting minutes will be approved when there is no objection expressed by attendees via email. The attendees must object within the later of: (1) two weeks after posting the minutes to the afgdistrict5.org website, or (2) two weeks after the most recent non-typographical change to the minutes.

The policy was adopted.

Add Hotline to GR-1 Forms

Recommend to groups that they list our hotline as second contact on GR-1 form, and add it when groups leave it blank on GR-1 forms.

Bryan T moved to adopt this policy and Annie J seconded. The policy was adopted.

Discussions

Minutes from Past Meetings

We accepted June’s with May’s likely to be accepted.

Announcements Coordinator Resignation

We need someone to do the Announcements page as our past person resigned. Diane has volunteered to do it this month and Bryan is going to talk with her about anything further.

Our AIS

Next Meeting we want to explore what AIS is to this district.

Reports

District Treasurer – Jan A

Available balance $2312.67, which does not include $500 prudent reserve.

Hotline – Marilyn F

Marilyn was unable to attend but sent word that we had 18 calls in June and she has people all lined up to do it the rest of the year.

District Representative (DR) – Cheryl B

At Spring Assembly, there were changes in MIAFG Alateen policy. Cheryl B will get a copy to Robin from Wed. night Alateen. August 19 is our district meeting with elections. We will be voting for DR, Alternate DR, Treasurer, and Secretary. DR’s and Alt. DR’s must be or have been a GR, and only GR’s can vote. Fall Assembly is Oct. 14 with MIAFG elections then. Forum subscriptions were brought up. No new Al-Anon service manuals will be sent out any more. It is available for free at WSO members area or you can buy one.

Website – Bryan T

The next website meeting is Friday July 28, 6-8pm. The things were going well, but progress is slowing due to maintenance demands, i.e., posting new events and meeting minutes.

Open Speaker Series – Annie J

We took in $30 at the last talk, and the rest of the year schedule is set. Cheryl brought up Gratitude Day, and Annie thought we could maybe do it in November with the open talk then. She will check with the church. She brought fliers for the August 12th talk. Next open talk is 2017-08-12 2:00 PM.

District Meeting Donation

Passed the basket and gave $10 to King of Kings Church.

Closing

The next district meeting is Saturday 2017-08-19 10:45P at King of Kings.

Closed with the Al-Anon Declaration: “Let it begin with me. When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, let the hand of Al-Anon and Alateen aways be there, and let it begin with me.”

Closed at 6:15 PM.

2017-08-19 District Meeting with Officer Elections

Please join us from 10:45 AM to 12:45 PM at King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor. At this meeting, Group Representatives will be electing our next District Representative (DR), Alternate DR, Secretary, and Treasurer. If your GR can’t attend, send your group’s alternate GR. Additionally, all members are welcome to come and voice their concerns and hear about the happenings in District 5 and beyond. You are welcome to join after 10:45 AM if necessary.

Agenda

  • Open with Serenity Prayer
  • Read the 12 Traditions and Concepts
  • Introductions
  • Treasurer’s report – Jan A
  • Secretary minutes
  • Elections Procedure
    • Electing District Represetative (DR), Alternate DR, and Secretary
    • Treasurer will continue for now
    • Read and provide hard-copies of the description and qualifications for each position
    • Only Group Representatives (GRs) can vote
    • Current DR asks for anyone interested in standing for each position, one at a time
    • Current DR will ask each candidate to explain why they want the position
    • Candidate(s) will step out of the room while GRs vote with paper ballot, including uncontested positions
    • Those elected will serve for 3 years starting on the first of January
  • Reports
    • District Representative – Cheryl B
    • Alternate DR – Carl S
    • Website Liaison – Bryan T
      • Change position name to Web Admin
      • Adopt group changes central contact
      • Suggest central referral policy
    • LDC Liaison – Diane B
    • Group Records – Julie S
      • Healthy meeting packets!
    • Alateen – Robin R
    • Hotline – Marilyn F
    • Open Speaker Series – Annie J
  • Items to discuss
    • Explore what our Al-Anon Information Service (AIS) is to this district
    • Vacant positions – Public Outreach, AIS, and Announcements
    • Gratitude Day – Do we want to have one?
  • Group Concerns
  • Other business
  • Next meeting 2017-09-01 05:15 PM
  • Close with the Al-Anon Declaration

    Let It Begin With Me.
    When anyone, anywhere,
    reaches out for help – let the hand of
    Al-Anon and Alateen always be there, and
    Let It Begin With Me.

CLOSED: This meeting of Al-Anon is closed to the public. Closed meetings are for anyone whose personal life is or has been deeply affected by close contact with a problem drinker. If you are interested in Al-Anon/Alateen or wish to observe as a student or professional, we welcome you to attend one of our meetings designated as ‘open’.