2017-08-19 District Meeting with Officer Elections

Please join us from 10:45 AM to 12:45 PM at King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor. At this meeting, Group Representatives will be electing our next District Representative (DR), Alternate DR, Secretary, and Treasurer. If your GR can’t attend, send your group’s alternate GR. Additionally, all members are welcome to come and voice their concerns and hear about the happenings in District 5 and beyond. You are welcome to join after 10:45 AM if necessary.

Agenda

  • Open with Serenity Prayer
  • Read the 12 Traditions and Concepts
  • Introductions
  • Treasurer’s report – Jan A
  • Secretary minutes
  • Elections Procedure
    • Electing District Represetative (DR), Alternate DR, and Secretary
    • Treasurer will continue for now
    • Read and provide hard-copies of the description and qualifications for each position
    • Only Group Representatives (GRs) can vote
    • Current DR asks for anyone interested in standing for each position, one at a time
    • Current DR will ask each candidate to explain why they want the position
    • Candidate(s) will step out of the room while GRs vote with paper ballot, including uncontested positions
    • Those elected will serve for 3 years starting on the first of January
  • Reports
    • District Representative – Cheryl B
    • Alternate DR – Carl S
    • Website Liaison – Bryan T
      • Change position name to Web Admin
      • Adopt group changes central contact
      • Suggest central referral policy
    • LDC Liaison – Diane B
    • Group Records – Julie S
      • Healthy meeting packets!
    • Alateen – Robin R
    • Hotline – Marilyn F
    • Open Speaker Series – Annie J
  • Items to discuss
    • Explore what our Al-Anon Information Service (AIS) is to this district
    • Vacant positions – Public Outreach, AIS, and Announcements
    • Gratitude Day – Do we want to have one?
  • Group Concerns
  • Other business
  • Next meeting 2017-09-01 05:15 PM
  • Close with the Al-Anon Declaration

    Let It Begin With Me.
    When anyone, anywhere,
    reaches out for help – let the hand of
    Al-Anon and Alateen always be there, and
    Let It Begin With Me.

CLOSED: This meeting of Al-Anon is closed to the public. Closed meetings are for anyone whose personal life is or has been deeply affected by close contact with a problem drinker. If you are interested in Al-Anon/Alateen or wish to observe as a student or professional, we welcome you to attend one of our meetings designated as ‘open’.

2017-07-07 District Meeting Minutes

Approval Date: Pending
Submitted by: Cheryl B
Attendance: 4 (Cheryl B, Kelly S, Annie J, Bryan T)
Location: King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor

Opened at 5:15 PM.
Opened with Serenity Prayer.

Proposals

Approve Minutes by Email

District meeting minutes will be approved when there is no objection expressed by attendees via email. The attendees must object within the later of: (1) two weeks after posting the minutes to the afgdistrict5.org website, or (2) two weeks after the most recent non-typographical change to the minutes.

The policy was adopted.

Add Hotline to GR-1 Forms

Recommend to groups that they list our hotline as second contact on GR-1 form, and add it when groups leave it blank on GR-1 forms.

Bryan T moved to adopt this policy and Annie J seconded. The policy was adopted.

Discussions

Minutes from Past Meetings

We accepted June’s with May’s likely to be accepted.

Announcements Coordinator Resignation

We need someone to do the Announcements page as our past person resigned. Diane has volunteered to do it this month and Bryan is going to talk with her about anything further.

Our AIS

Next Meeting we want to explore what AIS is to this district.

Reports

District Treasurer – Jan A

Available balance $2312.67, which does not include $500 prudent reserve.

Hotline – Marilyn F

Marilyn was unable to attend but sent word that we had 18 calls in June and she has people all lined up to do it the rest of the year.

District Representative (DR) – Cheryl B

At Spring Assembly, there were changes in MIAFG Alateen policy. Cheryl B will get a copy to Robin from Wed. night Alateen. August 19 is our district meeting with elections. We will be voting for DR, Alternate DR, Treasurer, and Secretary. DR’s and Alt. DR’s must be or have been a GR, and only GR’s can vote. Fall Assembly is Oct. 14 with MIAFG elections then. Forum subscriptions were brought up. No new Al-Anon service manuals will be sent out any more. It is available for free at WSO members area or you can buy one.

Website – Bryan T

The next website meeting is Friday July 28, 6-8pm. The things were going well, but progress is slowing due to maintenance demands, i.e., posting new events and meeting minutes.

Open Speaker Series – Annie J

We took in $30 at the last talk, and the rest of the year schedule is set. Cheryl brought up Gratitude Day, and Annie thought we could maybe do it in November with the open talk then. She will check with the church. She brought fliers for the August 12th talk. Next open talk is 2017-08-12 2:00 PM.

District Meeting Donation

Passed the basket and gave $10 to King of Kings Church.

Closing

The next district meeting is Saturday 2017-08-19 10:45P at King of Kings.

Closed with the Al-Anon Declaration: “Let it begin with me. When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, let the hand of Al-Anon and Alateen aways be there, and let it begin with me.”

Closed at 6:15 PM.

2017-07-07 District Meeting

Please join us in serving the district to further the Al-Anon mission from 5:15 PM to 6:15 PM at King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor. You are welcome to join after 5:15 PM if necessary.

Agenda

  • Someone to take minutes
  • Open with Serenity Prayer
  • Introductions
  • Treasurer’s report – Jan A
  • Minutes from past meetings
  • Items to discuss
    • Announcements Coordinator needed
    • Information phone – Marilyn F
    • District Rep. – Cheryl B, elections August 19
    • Website – Bryan T
    • Open Talks – Annie J
    • Options for GR-1 form – Bryan T
    • Fall Assembly 2017-10-14 – State Elections
  • Other business
  • Next meeting 2017-08-19
  • Close with the Al-Anon Declaration

    Let It Begin With Me.
    When anyone, anywhere,
    reaches out for help – let the hand of
    Al-Anon and Alateen always be there, and
    Let It Begin With Me.

CLOSED: This meeting of Al-Anon is closed to the public. Closed meetings are for anyone whose personal life is or has been deeply affected by close contact with a problem drinker. If you are interested in Al-Anon/Alateen or wish to observe as a student or professional, we welcome you to attend one of our meetings designated as ‘open’.

2017-06-02 District Meeting

Please join us in serving the district to further the Al-Anon mission from 5:15 PM to 6:15 PM at King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor. You are welcome to join after 5:15 PM if necessary.

Agenda

  • Someone to take minutes
  • Open with Serenity Prayer
  • Introductions
  • Treasurer’s report – Jan A
  • Items to discuss
    • Friday night meeting at club – Bryan T
    • Avalon meeting – Cheryl B
    • Information phone – Marilyn F
    • District rep. – Cheryl, state convention in 2018?
    • Web Meeting – Bryan T
    • Open Talk June 3 – Annie J
    • Spring Assembly June 17, 2017 in St. Louis MI, 10 am start with new GR orientation between 9am and 10am. $7 fee, lunch provided. All GR’s can vote at this state level meeting and are encouraged to attend or send someone else to represent your meeting. – Cheryl B
    • Options for GR-1 form – Bryan T
  • Other business
  • Close with the Al-Anon Declaration

    Let It Begin With Me.
    When anyone, anywhere,
    reaches out for help – let the hand of
    Al-Anon and Alateen always be there, and
    Let It Begin With Me.

CLOSED: This meeting of Al-Anon is closed to the public. Closed meetings are for anyone whose personal life is or has been deeply affected by close contact with a problem drinker. If you are interested in Al-Anon/Alateen or wish to observe as a student or professional, we welcome you to attend one of our meetings designated as ‘open’.

2017-06-02 District Meeting Minutes

Approval Date: 2017-06-21
Submitted by: Cheryl B
Attendance: 5 (Cheryl B, Marilyn F, Kelly S, Annie J, Joni S)

Opened with Serenity Prayer

Discussions

Avalon House

Cheryl B said she tried 3 times to contact James Pendergrass and got no reply. She decided to let it go for now until we hear from him.

Parents Practicing Principles Meeting

We had voted via email to take the Friday night meeting at the Alano Club off the schedule because it has not been going for some time.

Host MIAFG State Convention in 2018

Cheryl B. asked if we wanted to host the MIAFG State convention in 2018. It was decided not to since it is up in Bellaire Mi and not many had been to other conventions.

MIAFG Spring Assembly

The MIAFG Spring Assembly is June 17, 2017 in St. Louis, MI. Cheryl B is organizing carpooling and has at least one car load going and others plan to attend.

Special Holiday Meetings

Someone suggested that we have special Al-Anon meetings at the Alano Club in Ann Arbor during Thanksgiving or Christmas when the club hosts 24 hours of AA meetings.

Reports

District Treasurer – Jan A

Available balance $1964.67, which does not include $500 prudent reserve.

Hotline – Marilyn F

The district hotline had 23 calls last month. Volunteers needed for August, October and November to take the phone. Joni stepped up to take August. After the meeting, all positions for 2017 were filled.

Open Talks – Annie J

Annie reminded everyone about the open talk on June 3 and was concerned about flyers getting printed and distributed for other talks. Many there didn’t see the issue as we can print and distribute flyers ourselves. Next open talk is 2017-07-01.

Website – Cheryl B

Cheryl B. attended the website meeting and reported that Bryan has things well in hand.

Announcements – Cheryl B

June Announcements are not out yet. Cheryl said she would check on this, and then Bryan
said he would follow up on that as he was already in touch with our chair for that.

Closing

The next district meeting is Friday 2017-07-07 05:15P at King of Kings.

Closed with the Al-Anon Declaration: “Let it begin with me. When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, let the hand of Al-Anon and Alateen aways be there, and let it begin with me.”

Closed at 6:15 PM.

2017-05-05 District Meeting Minutes

Approval Date: 2017-07-17
Submitted by: Marilyn F
Attendance: 5 (Cheryl B, Diane B, Bryan T, Julie S, Marilyn F, Kelly S, Annie J, Jaclyn M)

Opened with Serenity Prayer

Discussions

Status of 6 PM Friday meeting at the Alano Club

It has not had much success with attendance. Bryan volunteered to check it out.

Remove Tuesday night meeting at St. Clare’s

Members associated with the meeting have reported that it is no longer functioning. Diane said that she would remove it from the list and no longer publicize it. Bryan T had already removed it from the Google calendar.

Avalon House

Cheryl B volunteered to contact James Pendergrass who requested a meeting there. Kelly S suggested that perhaps people from Avalon could be transported to existing meetings.

Tuesday evening meeting in Chelsea

Marilyn volunteered to check with the Tuesday evening Al-Anon meeting in Chelsea to see if that group needs support. She also said that she would contact the GR of the Monday meeting in Chelsea re. the correct email address for the group.

Healthy Meeting Packets

It was determined that a friendly introductory page will be included. Julie S, the new Group Records Coordinator, volunteered to help draft that letter. No date has been set as to when the packets will go out to groups in the district.

District 5 Email List

Bryan T volunteered to manage the District 5 email list.

Reports

District Treasurer – Jan A

Available balance $1840.67, which does not include $500 prudent reserve.

Open Talks – Annie J

Annie J asked for funds to pay for printing Open Speaker flyers. It was decided that half of the money collected at the open talks should go toward rent for the room, and the other half should be used to print flyers for the next Open Speaker Meeting.

Unfilled positions

Al-Anon Information Service (AIS) and Public Outreach

Closing

The next district meeting is Friday 2017-06-02 05:15P at King of Kings.

Closed with the Al-Anon Declaration:

Let It Begin With Me.
When anyone, anywhere,
reaches out for help – let the hand of
Al-Anon and Alateen always be there, and
Let It Begin With Me.

Closed at 6:15 PM.

2017-04-07 CANCELED District Mini Meeting

Diane B has volunteered to open the doors anyway from 5:15 pm to 6:15 pm at King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor to discuss the duties of some of the positions that need to be filled. Some are more time-sensitive than others. (District Group Records / Monthly Announcements / someone who will keep the Email list of all GR’s and others who have expressed desire to be on the list to receive news in our district – notices such as this, Announcements, etc.) The Website Liaison will also be in attendance to discuss the website.

In the meantime – while waiting for the District Meeting that is scheduled for May 5, you can read the Minutes from this year’s January and March meetings to find out what has been happening in our district. You may find these on the District 5 Business page. There will be on-going changes so check the website frequently and also make suggestions for what you’d like to see on the site. This is OUR website and the Website Liaison is receptive to comments and suggestions.

CLOSED: This meeting of Al-Anon is closed to the public. Closed meetings are for anyone whose personal life is or has been deeply affected by close contact with a problem drinker. If you are interested in Al-Anon/Alateen or wish to observe as a student or professional, we welcome you to attend one of our meetings designated as ‘open’.

2017-03-18 District Meeting Minutes

Approval Date: Pending approval
Submitted by: Meishia K
Attendance: 11 (Carl S, Vicki D, Janice B, Diane B, Meishia K, Marilyn F, Jan A, SunShine A, Kelly S, Annie J, Bryan T)

Opened with Serenity Prayer
Approved minutes from 2016-11-26 district meeting, again.

Service Position Status

Carl wishes to be replaced as alternate rep. Currently handles Gratitude Day. Cheryl needs a replacement as well. Jan is interested in continuing. Diane B wants to continue to do literature. Diane B needs to step down from AIS position which consists of maintaining website (will now be handled by Bryan), Announcements, Phone Coordinator, Keeper of King of Kings key, and District Group Records.

Discussions

Job Descriptions and terms should be discussed. When are elections? How can we increase participation in service work? Suggest partnering? Detail timespan? Suggest website. A list of positions is needed. They could be provided or spoken to at individual meetings. District Rep, Alt Rep, Outreach Coordinator, Alateen Rep. Cheryl and Carl will provide list.

EVENT RECORDS – INSTITUTIONAL MEMORY RETAINED

Publish Calendar of Events – annually. Need to have events out and know earlier. Boiler plate/guidelines of events will be available on website. Carl will provide Gratitude Day details to Bryan T. How to docs will be brought to district meetings and proposed to the group for inclusion to the website.

Financial reporting- is every group reporting all donations? Could it be done via the website? The district does have a system in place where individual groups send to the district and the district reports up. Carl is concerned about having oversight on what districts send to the state. The group decided it would be too much oversight.

New group wants to form “Avalon”. Follow up needs to happen. Working with Diane B and Cheryl B.

Reports

District Treasurer – Jan A

Available balance $2099.38. Quarterly $250.00 to AFG and State. Finished out Intimacy “stuff”. Will be shown in next report. Report approved

Concerned about increased need for Statement of Works and documentation in this organization when we are having such a problem with getting people’s volunteer.

Intimacy Talk – Kelly S

Approximately 75 in attendance. Collected $115 in 7th tradition. $100 gift to Zion $111 to Kelly for replenishment. 4 panelists. 2 of the panelists were a couple and they almost didn’t make it due to illness. Future suggestion is to have back up. Talk went nicely. Kelly, Anna S, Linda. Andy spoke. Varying ages and durations in the program. Questions followed. Panelists didn’t want to be recorded. Last years recording is available at http://therecoveryshow.com/2016/03/intimacy-panel-feb-2016/. Speakers guidelines were provided to the panelists. Guidelines will be added to the “how to’s” for website.

Open Talks – Annie J

Annie has volunteered to organize future talks. First open talk will be tonight, speaker is Martha B. Location is new, First Presbyterian. She would like to have open talks monthly. Ideally next months would be planned and flyers would be available at the current talk. Do we? How much to donate to church for use of venue? Bryan T made a motion to donate 50% of net revenue, which was seconded.

Website – Bryan T

Website ready to roll out. Announcements and google calendar of events. Notifications is a possible functionality. What needs to be done: testing, content is good, 6 people on the committee, go-live. Preview at afgdistrict5.org/stage. Bryan T desires comments and feature requests. Old website will go away eventually. It will be noted that on the old site at some point. Announcements, group records positions could be report outs of the website. Email address are aligned to the new website.

AWSC Meeting -SunShine A

Working on revamping alateen and AMAIS certification. 4 hour meeting. Any particular groups holding special events to send to Jamie H at miafg_org@yahoo.com to spread word. Group rep email address came in handy! Working on description. Michigan MHWEB.org Dawn Farms also post community info on. How can we post al anon info. $30/6 months on website up to 30 words and $3 goes out to area clinics and treatment centers. Would fall into Public Outreach Coordinator role.

Donations for the district meeting were collected.

Closing

The next district meeting is Friday 2017-04-07 05:15P at King of Kings.

Closed with the Al-Anon Declaration: “Let it begin with me. When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, let the hand of Al-Anon and Alateen aways be there, and let it begin with me.”

2017-01-06 District Meeting Minutes

Approval Date: Pending approval
Submitted by: Bryan T
Attendance: 8 (Marilyn F, Cheryl B, Kelly S, Bryan T, Nancy S, Barb, Diane B, Jan A)

Opened with Serenity Prayer
Approved agenda
Approved minutes from 2016-11-26 district meeting with the following change(s):
The last line under “Cheryl-district rep:” section was changed from

It was decided that the mini meetings will now be held at 5:15 on the first Friday of the month.

to

It was decided that the mini meetings will now be held at 5:15 on the first Friday of most months.

 

Reports

Treasurer – Jan

Available balance is $1944.85 which does not include $500 reserve. The annual report for 2016 is complete and available. Report was accepted as presented. Jan A proposed to place cash under the door of church instead of in check form. Bryan T inquired if this would interfere with accounting and IRS purposes. Jan responded that she could not foresee an issue. Marilyn noted that we would be writing down the amount in the minutes, so it would be recorded in case of audit. All agreed that cash could be placed under door instead of check. Suggested donation to the meeting facility is $1 per person. Total donation given $11.

Intimacy Open Talk – Kelly S

Title of the talk is Impact of Alcoholism and Addiction on Intimacy and Sexual Relationships, which is scheduled for Friday 2017-02-03 7:30P-9:00P at Zion Lutheran Church. Kelly S gave an overview of speakers. Jan A, Marilyn F, and Cheryl B volunteered to make and bring baked goods to sell at the event. The expenses for the event include table cloths, coffee, paper plates, cups, and $100 donation for rent to the church. Abby will introduce/moderate the speakers. Two of the speakers requested not to be recorded; therefore, none will be. The recording from last year will be provided to the speakers. Last year, attendance was approximately 125, which exceeded the capacity of the room. Please advertise the event, but don’t go overboard. Previous year had low literature sales. Diane B will bring a small assortment of literature and man a table to sell them and answer questions for non-Al-Anon folk. After the speakers are done, Abby will open the floor for Al-Anon members to share and direct people with questions about Al-Anon to see Diane B at the back. Direct volunteers to e-mail Kelly S. Diane B, Jan A, and Marilyn F volunteer to arrive for setup at 6:00P. Diane B and Jan A volunteer for breakdown. We must vacate the church by 10:00PM. Kelly S is doing the shopping for plates, napkins, and coffee supplies. Supplies from last year were adequate; therefore, identical quantities will be purchased.

AIS/LDC – Diane B

Discussion was held on whether to post meeting minutes before and/or after approval. There was disagreement among the discussion participants. Topic was tabled for next meeting in interest of time. The Thursday Serenity AFG group does not have a current mailing address(CMA). Marilyn offered to provide a relevant number to Diane B for tracking down the appropriate contact for the meeting. Diane B announced that we need a district group records coordinator.

Website Liaison – Bryan T

The current sandbox site is accessible at https://afgdistrict5.org/. Bryan T expects to migrate to the new site with a minimal feature set within approximately 2 months. The new site will link to the old site for those seeking something that has not yet been implemented in the new site. Please send to Bryan T a copy of any documents relevant to District 5 that you produce and can be posted to the website. If you have the original editable document, please provide that version in addition to a pdf file.

Phone Coordinator – Marilyn F

People are getting through on the phone. Marilyn F shared a heartwarming story of someone helped by the service. Marilyn F has a sign up sheet for 2017.

Open Talks – Annie

Annie absent. No one was aware of any talks scheduled for January or February other than the intimacy talk, which is described earlier in these minutes.

Group and Other Concerns

Bryan T suggested that we consider combining the group records position and website coordinator in the future because the website may become able to generate reports. Diane B mentioned privacy concerns for group representative(GR) contact information.

Closing

The next district meeting is Saturday 2017-03-18 10:45A at King of Kings.

Closed with the Al-Anon Declaration: “Let it begin with me. When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, let the hand of Al-Anon and Alateen aways be there, and let it begin with me.”