Submitted by: Bryan T
Attendance: 17 (Bryan T, Marilyn F, Vicki D, Diane B, Richard H, Mary F, Julie S, Kelly S, Lori H, Jan A, Debbie F, Luanne C, Alvin R, Mary H, Annie J)
Location: King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor
Opened at 11:00 AM.
Opened with Serenity Prayer followed by Concepts of Service.
Minutes from Past Meetings
Bryan T posted to website and sent out an email for approval from the attendees.
No one volunteered for District Representative (DR) or Alternate DR.
Send Jan A to attend the next AWSC meeting on Mar 10, 2018 and report back to the District.
Vicki D volunteered for a future date to be named.
Julie S and/or Luanne C volunteered to write a report on activities at Assembly.
Future District Business MeetingsMotion:
Hold future District Business Meetings in 2018 on June 16, August 18, and December 1 from 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM at King of Kings Church, Ann Arbor, MI pending key-holder and venue availability.
Intimacy Open Speaker Meeting
Richard H has assembled a committee which has decided to hold the meeting at Zion Lutheran Church, Ann Arbor, MI on June 23 at 2:00 PM. Richard requested $200 from the District, and he asked for donations of baked goods.Motion:
Authorize a total reimbursement of up to $300 for expenses related to the Intimacy Open Speaker Meeting.
Spencer reported via Bryan T that childcare services by Ann Arbor Women's Group may be approximately $60 per meeting inferred from information on the website. Amy T, who is on the board of A2WG, said that they are actively raising funds to expand childcare, but they do not have the capacity to pay more child care providers at this time.Motion:
Make an announcement to be posted until next District Meeting similar to "Our district has been discussing having more meetings with childcare. If your group has any interest in offering childcare, please contact Secretary@afgdistrict5.org."
Announcement Email format
Luanne and others suggested that changed events be highlighted. In the interest of time discussion was tabled.
District Treasurer - Jan A
The District is in good financial standing with Available balance $1775.08, which does not include $500 prudent reserve.
District Representative (DR) - Vacant
Alternate DR - Vacant
LDC Liaison - Diane B
Available funds $1073. Service manuals are not being mailed to GRs, but the manuals may be downloaded for free online or purchased from Diane B for $5.
Group Records - Julie S
Asked Group Representatives (GRs) to please send information changes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alateen - Robin RBryan T read the following email from Robin R:
- I and a panel of 4 teens did an event for the Washtenaw Alliance of Children and Youth last month. They approached me for this idea; the theme of the workshop was: “supporting youth with substance using parents/guardians”. Olivia and I co-lead the event, talking a lot about Alateen, and the 4 teens shared their experience, strength and hope. We also answered questions from the audience (school counselors, people who work with kids/teens) and after they took some of the literature we brought. It went really well and was like a one hour commercial for Alateen! Was proud of the Alateens - this was our first event like this and they were great.
- I attended one day of March Roundup with 2 of my teens. We saw the Al-Anon speaker and the Alateen speaker. My teens then decided to stay over in the Alateen hospitality room so that meant that they also had to attend the AA open speaker meeting Saturday night. The following week I had one of the teens who attended share what she had learned from being there and she had lots to share! I let the teens know that I will try to attend as many conferences like this as I can and/or will let them know about them so they can attend even if I can’t.
- Our funds are okay for now - I will check back in about passing the red basket again as we get closer to KOMIAC (Alateen camp) in May.
Information Phone - Marilyn FNeed volunteers after April. Volunteers should have 1+ years of experience in Al-Anon. Marilyn F will deliver the phone to volunteers.
Open Speaker Series - Annie J
Attendance and donations from last 3 talks were
- Chuck G - $17 - 17 attendees
- Ellen F - $14 - 7 attendees
- Mary F - $42 - 26 attendees
ClosingThe next district meeting is Saturday 2018-06-16 11:00 AM at King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor.
Closed with the Al-Anon Declaration: "Let it begin with me. When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, let the hand of Al-Anon and Alateen aways be there, and let it begin with me."
Closed at 12:30 PM. Donation of $40 was provided to the venue.