2017-10-06 District Meeting Minutes

Approval Date: 2017-10-30
Submitted by: Julie S
Attendance: 7 (Bryan T, Robin R, SunShine A, Julie S, Stacie P, Diane B, Annie J)
Location: King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor

Opened at 5:15 PM.
Opened with Serenity Prayer.

Proposals

Duration of Meeting Support Requests

When groups request support for their meeting, those requests will appear in 3 consecutive monthly announcement flyers and on the website for an equivalent period of time, or until the group says that the announcements are no longer necessary. A group may extend its request for an additional 3 months after the month in which the extension was requested.

The policy was adopted.

Discussions

Minutes from Past Meetings

Minutes from the August and September meetings were not yet available to be reviewed and approved.

Gratitude Day 2017

Diane volunteered to coordinate plans for this year’s Gratitude Day which will be at King of Kings on Saturday, November 18 from 1:30 – 3:30 pm. She passed around a proposed flyer to advertise the event, and asked for someone to volunteer to be the main speaker. The program will include the guest speaker and then all in attendance will be invited to share on gratitude.

District Elections on 2017-11-18

We need to elect a new District Representative and Alternate District Representative at the November District Meeting. Other open positions include Al-Anon Information Service and Outreach. Job descriptions for these positions are on the District Website under Resources->Service Positions. In order to fill these positions, you need to be or have been a Group Representative and you cannot be a member of AA. It would be helpful if GRs would announce these openings at their meetings.

Childcare at Meetings

Currently, only a couple of meetings provide childcare for their members, and lack of childcare is a barrier for some people to attend meetings. It is unclear to those present what the Al-Anon policies are (if any) about childcare. One mention was found in the on-line Service Manual, in reference to miscellaneous expenses paid by meetings. Bryan offered to write a survey to put in the monthly announcements, asking about interest in childcare during meetings. It can be reviewed at the next district meeting. He also offered to contact the Tuesday/Thursday morning meeting to ask how they provide childcare. Julie will contact the Friday evening Methodist Church meeting GR to ask the same question. Those who are going to the Assembly on 2017-10-14 can also ask there about childcare. It was noted that those who can’t attend regular meetings without childcare might want to try on-line meetings.

Reports

District Treasurer – Jan A

Available balance $2633.67, which does not include $500 prudent reserve.

District Representative (DR) – Cheryl B

Absent and no report. Bryan ran this meeting in Cheryl’s absence.

Alternate DR – Carl S

Absent and no report.

Website – Bryan T

The website forum followed this District Meeting. Bryan invited all at the District Meeting to attend if they chose. Progress is slow due to maintenance demands, i.e., posting new events and meeting minutes. Seeking help from someone with interest in code development.

LDC Liaison – Diane B

Newcomer packets have arrived from WSO. Diane has ordered the 3 pieces of Conference Approved Literature that are now on sale, as well as printer ink. Putting certain pieces of literature on sale is a new thing WSO is trying out. All the district’s literature inventory is now located at her work office. This position is open for someone new to take it on, though the need is not urgent. Whoever takes over must have a business place to receive and keep literature – this is a requirement from the WSO.

Group Records – Julie S

Three different groups had updates after they received the Healthy Meeting packets. All those updates have been submitted to Michigan Group Records and are now updated in the WSO database. Julie S has begun to include the Information Phone as the secondary contact for groups that don’t identify their own secondary contact.

Alateen – Robin R

Another Alateen sponsor is needed to work with Robin. The person must have at least 2 years in Al-Anon, pass a background check, attend the training that is now available for Alateen sponsors, and must be approved by the kids who make up our Alateen group. Diane will add the Alateen booklet on sponsorship to literature orders she fills to help with recruitment. The group is also running low on money, so Robin will send an announcement request to Bryan T soliciting donations from the groups.

Hotline – Marilyn F

Absent and no report.

Open Speaker Series – Annie J

There were 45 people at the August Open Talk and 15 at the September one. Perhaps moving the time in September to 12:30 from 2 PM was confusing. She brought flyers for the October 7th talk. Richard is the speaker. Next open talk is 2017-11-04 2:00 PM – Kaitlyn Z. Speakers are lined up for December (Zach B) and January (Chuck). Annie is planning to re-design the Open Speaker Meeting flyer and is looking for input. She wants to grow attendance and perhaps have an Alateen speaker. She is willing to continue doing this service in 2018.

District Meeting Donation

Passed the basket and gave approximately $15 to King of Kings Church.

GR Issues and Updates

Sunshine brought up the problem of students trying to attend meetings not as Al-Anon members, but as part of their studies. Since all our regular meetings are closed (only people affected by the alcoholism in a family member or friend may attend). Students may attend the Open Talks – there are no qualifications imposed. Bryan T agreed to add a “For Professionals and Students” section to the website.

Annie brought up the lack of current District 5 Al-Anon meeting lists at the Alano Club. Diane volunteered to write up instructions about where to get current lists and literature and to laminate that so it can be posted at the Club.

Closing

The next district meeting is Saturday 2017-11-18 10:45 AM at King of Kings, 2685 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor.

Closed with the Al-Anon Declaration: “Let it begin with me. When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, let the hand of Al-Anon and Alateen aways be there, and let it begin with me.”

Closed at 6:15 PM.


Notice: ob_end_flush(): failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (0) in /home/afg5/public_html/stage/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3729